I’ve had a big increase in traffic since the last post, and I’ve seen some confusion from people who haven’t been following the blog about what this project is and is not about.
As a completely amateur game developer and big Carmageddon fan, I put together a map and model viewer using file format specs available on the internet. I had a lot of fun doing that, and I continued implementing more features. I didn’t expect many people to be interested in what I was doing - it was mostly just for my own interest.
Here are the salient points:
- It is a purely amateur, fan-made effort
- I haven’t tried to reverse-engineer any of the original code
- I’m not profiting from this in any way
- The OpenC1 engine I have developed simply loads arbitrary files from a folder and figures out how to display them.
- The first release included the free, official, un-modified Carmageddon demo (which of course it shouldn’t really have - but again, I simply didn’t think anyone would be that interested)
- It now won’t require any original copyrighted content, thanks to the C1 community who have created their own cars and tracks.
I’ve been advised not to make any other comment on legal issues until they have been resolved :(