I first started building SharePod around 2005 when I got my first iPod - a 3rd gen. iTunes wasn't even available for Windows, and instead it came with MusicMatch Jukebox plus an iPod plugin - a really nasty solution!
I hated MusicMatch, and was familiar with hex editors from editing games, so I got to work reverse engineering the iPod's custom database file. Back then there was no database encryption, which made it much easier.
The free, final 3.9.9 version supported these features:
- Edit music and videos
- Edit playlists
- Edit album art
- View and backup photos
- Copy music, videos and playlists from your iPod to PC and back to iPod
- Import music and videos into your iTunes library, including playlists and ratings
- Tag editing
- Drag-drop between SharePod and Explorer
- Simple, clean, quick to load and use with no unnessary complicated features
- Support for iPhone and iTouch (Thanks to Nikias Bassen, Paul Sladen, Jonathan Beck, and Christophe Fergeau for making this possible)